I'll Never Walk the Aforementioned Again

ATW Brook MacDonald Main Photo.jpg

By Brook MacDonald

The mind and the body can practise incredible things.

Impossible things.

I idea I knew that being a mountain biker. Regularly traversing down a mountain at speeds of upwards to 85 km/h requires an chemical element of insanity.

Ironically though, it was a crash that taught me just how powerful those ii things are.

A crash that would mark the worst mean solar day of my life.

A crash that would change my life.

MONT SAINT ANNE

The Globe Champs are a unlike kind of brute when it comes to mount biking.

With our regular Earth Cup flavor, at that place are a number of races across the yr and the key to success is but being consistent.

But the World Champs are a ane-off race. One run, one hazard.

Mentally preparing for that is pretty hard because you know one footling mistake can toll yous everything.

Just in August last year, when I travelled to Quebec for the 2019 edition, I felt like I had really prepared myself well.

Over the terminal five years, I had really done things right leading into the competition and that's where I always peaked, then in terms of a one-off race, I felt like I couldn't be in a better place mentally.

Mont Saint Anne, where the race would take identify, was i of my best favourite tracks.

In that location'south something special about that place because it's a class that really suits me and I feel similar it'southward a course built for my riding fashion.

I had ridden information technology a lot, and I had big expectations of doing well.

During the qualifiers, I came in with the tertiary-fastest fourth dimension. My highest placing at a Globe Champs previously was 5th, and so I felt like a podium finish was a definite possibility.

I had a great run on that qualifying 24-hour interval, had some other few days of good do on the track, and felt actually good.

"I felt like I couldn't exist in a ameliorate place mentally."

The final race was just a day away, and information technology was our concluding adventure to go far a few more than practices before it all came together.

All I wanted to do was one or two more than runs.

I was feeling good, I felt like I had a good grasp on the track, and because we get so much practice and then much time on the track - and they're tracks we've ridden for the past x years - I didn't want to over-exercise it.

I had figured out from previous experience that sometimes doing too much in practice didn't piece of work out for me because you sort of know where you're going from the beginning and things starting time to get overcomplicated.

So I decided that 1 or 2 more runs would be enough.

The team had an early on morning session, then headed up the mount for the first practise.

I stopped 100m into the track, just to look at a section that was getting a lilliputian chip worn out. In that location was a lot of h2o in that area and then it was boggy and I just wanted to detect a line that I was comfortable with, while still being the fastest.

I found it, took my bike back to the top, and dropped in.

I hit the exact line I wanted to, and did information technology perfectly. From at that place, I merely felt something inside me proverb, "This was the perfect run leading into the race on finals day."

THE CRASH

I decided to do one more.

Everything started perfectly.

I wasn't going too fast because I but wanted to link the whole track together and piece of work out places where I could push the limit a little scrap, and places where I needed to back off.

I came into a item section that was just off the ski area, coming into a small flake of woods with a right-hand turn into a rock curl.

"I decided to practise one more than."

Rock rolls aren't particularly gnarly for someone like myself competing at a high level. In fact, it'southward something nosotros ride off quite frequently and you just don't really call back nearly it.

Simply considering nosotros had a lot of pelting the solar day before, the track had got chewed up a bit.

Coming over the rock, an exposed root was sitting out in forepart.

I didn't even have time to see information technology.

My back wheel clipped the root, put me off the line, and sent me flying over the handlebars.

I was probably two or iii metres in the air, coming down with forcefulness and landing straight onto my back.

It happened so quick… earlier I knew, I was in the side of a ditch.

And so the hurting striking.

I knew instantly that something was seriously incorrect.

I went to try and roll over considering I was on my side… just I couldn't motility. I couldn't experience my legs.

A sharp, searing pain, started shooting through my lower back and honestly, I cannot describe in words how bad that pain was.

To explain how much force I came down with, my legs were over my entire caput, folded in half.

"I went to endeavor and roll over because I was on my side… but I couldn't move."

I knew it was serious, I didn't need to exist told that. So honestly, my commencement thoughts in that moment were just, "I need to get off this hill."

I just wanted to get to a hospital, become somewhere safe, and figure out what was going on.

If only it was that easy.

Four-AND-A-HALF HOURS OF Desperation

There were ii competitions taking place at the time. Our downhill competition, and the cross country.

In that location were only two doctors on the entire hill.

One was attending to another athlete in the cross country competition, and the other one was down at the terminate line.

It took 40 minutes for them to get to me, only to notice out they didn't take any pain relief.

p5pb19366612.jpg

The other md was chosen, and an hr-and-a-half afterwards, I finally had some pain medication.

Seriously, it was a nightmare lying there in pain.

The worst function was when I finally got some meds, they did absolutely nothing – and I had a lot of them!

Information technology didn't accept the pain away, and I was left there in desperation.

At one signal they told me the helicopter was here to accept me away, but I was looking up into the sky and I couldn't see anything.

It was the worst day of my life.

I would never want anyone to go through what I went through, fifty-fifty the most hated person on the planet.

Information technology felt like I had but been left there.

When the helicopter finally arrived, and I was stretchered into it and off the colina, information technology had been 4-and-a-half hours.

The amount of time they left me there, at that place could have been a lot more damage washed.

GETTING TO THE Hospital

As I was lifted into the air and taken towards the infirmary, my girlfriend and squad owner had already left the mount to meet me there.

My girlfriend checked in and said to the staff at the hospital, "There'south a mountain biker coming in on a helicopter with a spinal cord injury."

Only the hospital said, "Well he won't be coming hither in a heli, because our helipad is out of action due to renovations."

They had to phone call the pilot directly away and let them know that he wouldn't exist able to country.

Instead, we'd take to fly to the aerodrome - which was 20 minutes away - so make it an ambulance and take a 20-minute ride from the airport to the hospital.

The worst part wasn't the delay, information technology was the road.

In Canada, they have such bad roads that every 100m or so at that place are these big splits and cracks.

Every fourth dimension we went over 1, I could feel every single bone in my back - as if they were moving against each other – jolt with hurting.

By the fourth dimension I got to the infirmary, I was pretty loftier on drugs, but when they got me in there I was still in a lot of hurting.

"I would never want anyone to go through what I went through, fifty-fifty the most hated person on the planet."

They gave me some ketamine and – no jokes - I left my trunk.

I went to the moon and was walking on space dust.

That was gnarly because I all of a sudden went from a whole lot of pain to literally nothing in a matter of seconds.

In that period of time they did a bunch of scans and plant that I had fractured my T12 vertebrae, and outburst my L1 which was sitting on my spinal cord.

They would need to operate, only past the time all of the tests were washed it was about 11pm and then I would have to await until the adjacent morning time.

At no point was I e'er told by my surgeon or physician that I'd never walk again.

67643534_185380395828077_3088467447232964655_n.jpg

I think they might have let my girlfriend know in that location was a possibility I might never walk once more, just my girlfriend never told me that at the time.

That was probably the all-time thing for me. It tin can be actually difficult to accept and be told something like that, and I was even so in a actually positive place.

Later on the scans the nighttime before, I had an operation that put two rods and 8 screws in my back.

I was going to be staying in Canada for a few weeks until my back got fixed.

At no point did I e'er entertain the idea that I would never walk once again.

ROAD TO RECOVERY

From day dot, I convinced myself that I'd exist dorsum on my bike ane twenty-four hours.

I set a goal early in the recovery of when I wanted to race once again and what sort of targets I needed to hit.

Apparently I didn't know how things were going to become or when I'd be walking, only I think it really helped me having that goal and date set in my mind because it really drove me and pushed me to overwork and do annihilation it would take to get back to normal.

The problem though, was that I didn't really have a proper programme of rehab – I was just sort of doing what I could each day.

We didn't know when I would be able to come abode to New Zealand so there wasn't whatever structured physio or personal training. I just had to focus on the short-term and what I could reach day-past-day.

Subsequently ii days, I managed to stand up for the start time since the injury.

It was pretty much all upper body considering I had no strength in my legs, but just to know that things were OK and heading in the correct direction was a really good feeling.

The day after that, I walked on some frames.

Yous tin't begin to believe how motivating that was. To get from lying in a bed not feeling my legs, to standing up, to walking, all within iii days – that was special.

From that moment, I knew I was going to make a full recovery and be able to race and live a normal life.

I spent 2 weeks in Quebec hospital with doctors, nurses, and my girlfriend looking after me.

Having my partner Lucy there was astonishing. She is a nurse herself, and sort of took over the role of taking care of me the whole time. That was pretty awesome because manifestly information technology made me feel comfortable and reassured - annihilation I didn't understand or grasp she was able to explicate to me.

"To go from lying in a bed not feeling my legs, to standing upwardly, to walking, all within three days – that was special."

That was a massive office of my recovery in the beginning, having her there.

But things began to get tough after two weeks, considering I simply wanted to go habitation and start a structured routine.

We spent a week going back and forth with insurance trying to organise flights back to New Zealand.

We ended up getting them, but the insurance company wanted to transport me in economy. Logistically, they wanted to take out four rows and put me in a stretcher in the overhead lockers.

When they emailed my girlfriend that, I jumped directly on Google Images to check out what it was all well-nigh.

When I first saw the epitome I just thought, "There's no way I'm flying 35 hours abode in a stretcher lying apartment above the overhead lockers."

By that bespeak I was capable of continuing upwards and walking with an a-frame, and I was fine to get wheeled onto the plane, but the doctors stressed the demand for me to wing domicile in business or offset form.

Finally, we got business form flights home.

It was another drive in the ambulance – this time four hours – and once over again it was horrible. But at that bespeak I had in my mind that I was going abode, and then it didn't really matter too much to me.

I flew dwelling house and went straight to the Burwood Spinal Unit in Christchurch.

The get-go two days involved doctors constantly coming to assess me. I had prepared myself to be in at that place for two to three months, just because nosotros didn't really know how things would alter and what exactly was happening with my trunk.

But they said I'd only be there for four to five weeks.

That was another massive gain for me considering it made me experience like I had already accomplished a lot and that my recovery was already well on its way.

I spent 4 weeks in Burwood, extensively preparation twice a day.

The first week was really tough, I spent probably 35-40 mins a session, before I'd take to get home and sleep because information technology would knock me around so much.

"I had prepared myself to be in there for two to three months… merely they said I'd only be there for four to five weeks."

Once I did the starting time week, I got into a routine and of a sudden things became easier.

I got to meet a lot of different people, hear about their accidents and their spinal cord injuries, and see how they take recovered. Listening to their stories was actually inspiring and it was eye-opening to see that you can live a normal life with a spinal cord injury.

I had done an interview with 1News and the following week a lady had come in who had a autumn and lost feeling from her waist down. She had watched the interview on TV and when she came in, she saw me in the gym, and just burst into tears.

I was doing a walking practise and I just had to go along walking because I felt like if I stopped, I was going to first crying – it was that emotional.

My Mum and Gran were there and this lady came up to my Mum and said, "Your son is such a large inspiration for me."

When I left in that location, she was walking on her own, then to run into something similar that and know my recovery had helped inspire her was really humbling.

There was another guy who came in just after me, he had come off one of those balderdash-riding things they have in the pubs and landed on his neck awkwardly. He was in at that place in a wheelchair but when I left he was walking.

That sort of stuff really drove me to want to be back to my normal self. It was really an centre-opening identify and the people in that location are amazing.

Information technology made me really appreciate life a lot more too.

"Listening to their stories was really inspiring and information technology was heart-opening to see that you can live a normal life with a spinal cord injury."

It was pretty tough going from someone who was and then active and beingness on my anxiety a lot, to not having any of that.

Anyone that has experienced this will tell you that we all accept walking for granted. It's non something you lot ever think of in your twenty-four hours-to-day living considering it's something you've grown up with, just when it's taken away from yous, information technology's pretty scary.

Just I was determined and willing to work my ass off to get back to living a normal life.

IF THE MIND IS WILLING, THE Torso WILL FOLLOW

My recovery was going well later on four weeks. I was achieving new things, and every day brought progress.

They kind of told me to prepare myself for a moment in the route where things would plateau off and they wouldn't go upwards for a while, just I never really noticed that at all - everything just went up.

I had a corking physio – Quinn – she was too a mountain biker and she knew who I was.

She told me later on that she was scared to take me on because she hadn't worked with a professional athlete earlier and she didn't really know how information technology would piece of work out, but we got on well and it really fabricated my time there go a lot faster.

Afterwards iv weeks, I was leaving Burwood and heading abode.

A goal I set early on was to walk out of that building with no walking stick or crutches. They gave me the walking stick for when I got tired, only I made sure I walked out of those doors with nothing in my hand.⁠

Which also highlights the nigh challenging part in my whole boxing - and for a lot of other people as well – mental toughness.

I feel like some people give up and think, "I'll never walk again" or "I'll always have problems walking." Whatever information technology is, people sometimes give up too easily.

SI201905280055_hires_jpeg_24bit_rgb.jpg

But it's not going to heal itself in i or two days, it's going to accept a while. If you stick to a routine and prepare goals, things are achievable.

I hope people get the fact that the body is a powerful affair and it tin can do anything.

My injury shows that.

Having the right people effectually you - the right physios, trainers, whatsoever information technology is - is super of import.

I feel like in society nowadays information technology's then easy for a dr. or a surgeon to bring people down and tell them what is and isn't going to piece of work, so having positive people around you is key.

I had that, and in all honesty, I never had a twenty-four hour period that I felt negative most things. Just considering I set those goals and was able to get a sense of achievement which kept me motivated.

"I hope people become the fact that the body is a powerful matter and information technology can do annihilation."

Information technology's crazy how the mind can make the trunk respond.

I remember one night when I was still in a wheelchair, I had a dream that I was walking.

The adjacent day I walked with crutches for the start time.

In some other dream, I was running. The next day I told my physio about it, and he got me to jog on the spot.

Things like that showed me that the mind can do powerful things, and it really drove me to believe that things were achievable.

It's not to say I didn't struggle. I of the biggest things I struggled with was beingness away from domicile for then long.

I'm a home male child, and when I'm travelling through the flavor I come home quite oft.

By the fourth dimension I got to Burwood, I had been away for about iv months. That mentally drained me and it got to the bespeak where I said to my girlfriend, "I need to get home."

When I got there, I didn't want to leave.

I bankrupt downwards because I was and then happy to be abode seeing my friends and family.

Looking back, every bit much every bit I wish this injury didn't happen, the whole process was something I will cherish and appreciate in the futurity.

I don't regret anything I did, nor anything that happened to me, considering it's just made me realise how important life is and how fast information technology can exist taken away from y'all.

Every step and gain that I got in my recovery, I got pleasure out of.

"Looking back, as much equally I wish this injury didn't happen, the whole process was something I will cherish and capeesh in the future."

From pace i of learning to walk again to footstep 10 of not having to worry almost tripping on my own foot or walking upwardly a prepare of stairs and non having to look down and watch where my feet are going.

I feel like if I didn't put in the piece of work I did and had the bulldoze to become back to where I wanted to be, I would probably still exist struggling now.

You put your mind to information technology, you fix goals, and it volition go yous a long way. You lot'll be surprised what the listen can do.

Back ON THE BIKE

Six months down the runway, I had the two rods and eight screws taken out of my dorsum.

It was a life changing moment.

I was then limited with the fusion and especially being down the bottom of my back where I experience and so much of your day-to-day living is affected.

When yous sit downwards, you slouch a little fleck and you lot have that middle part of your back relaxed - I couldn't practice that for the best office of six months.

"Y'all put your mind to it, y'all set goals, and it will go you a long way. You'll be surprised what the heed can do."

But I was already riding my bike. In fact, it was just five weeks afterward the injury that I was dorsum on the pedals and funnily enough, I could ride a wheel meliorate than I could walk.

The key question though, was my confidence.

I've prepared myself mentally over the years to cope with big crashes. I understand how the sport works and I know how to recover from them and put them backside me - which I feel is a big strength of mine.

But this ane was a picayune unlike.

I really thought I'd be cautious when I got back into riding, but when I commencement went biking in the park, I didn't lack anything.

I still had some issues with my feet - with the sensations and struggling to feel the pedals -  only other than that, I didn't struggle at all and it all just felt and so natural.

It was similar I had never left.

SI201907160224_hires_jpeg_24bit_rgb.jpg

Simply aside from the ability to ride once again, there was one last piece to the puzzle.

One of the biggest things that worried me when I came dorsum was going through my commencement crash again.

It had been months since my first ride later on the blow until at present and I had done it all without a single crash.

The need to take a big 1 was real.

Simply three weekends ago, as I was coming into a department on a track that had some races there recently, I saw some marker poles lying on the ground.

I was going fast, and one of the poles flicked up through the crank and into my leg, jamming upward the bike, and sending me flying over the handlebars.

It was déjà vu, and it immediately felt similar I was going back to my crash at Mont Saint Anne.

I landed on the basis and started shaking my legs, seeing if they were working.

I got up and jumped effectually, just to brand certain everything was fine.

"I really thought I'd be cautious when I got back into riding, but when I first went biking in the park, I didn't lack annihilation… It was like I had never left."

Honestly, that was the best feeling I've had throughout my entire recovery. Knowing how it was going to experience to crash. Knowing that I tin can take information technology, that information technology'south not going to bear upon me any more than it used to, and that my body could handle it.

Information technology feels like a total circle – a wheel.

And I was able to compete at the World Champs in Austria last weekend - one twelvemonth on. Nil even comes shut to the feeling of being able to do that once again.

That accomplishment to me, is the biggest win in my life.

LESSONS LEARNED, AND LESSONS TO Be LEARNED

My girlfriend was later told that the procedure on the mountain was that if my injury was life threatening, they would have the army to me within xxx to 40 minutes.

If it was "non-life-threatening", a helicopter would take upwards to an hour.

They classified my injury equally "non-life-threatening," but I lay paralysed in a ditch, and they didn't know how serious information technology was, if I had internal bleeding etc.

The pilot of the helicopter for the event was on standby at his habitation – 45 minutes from the helicopter. That's why information technology took and so long.

To me, that'south poor organisation from the upshot organisers and the UCI because at the end of the day, that could have been someone'due south life.

At the showtime of every event, every racer needs to know what the medical evacuation process is. How long it'southward going to be, how many doctors are on site, how far to the hospital - only to reassure everyone that they're going to be safe if they accept a crash.

That'll requite them a bit of confidence that if something does go wrong, they'll be well looked later.

I think something else we lack in our sport is the ability to place risky situations and look afterward the track.

Direct later me, there was a guy who had the exact same blow, and he got super lucky with but a bad concussion, but he could have been in the exact same position equally me.

And imagine how screwed they would have been on that hill if there were 2 guys in the position I was in with but two doctors and no pain relief?!

They didn't even terminate the practice after my crash.

I actually feel bad for the other riders who had to ride by me or around me, knowing I had crashed and how bad it was. That's no skillful for whatsoever athlete because at the end of the day, they're wanting to ride the fastest they tin can, merely when they know something similar that has happened it sort of screws with the mental side of it.

They didn't even stop when the helicopter came in.

"At the commencement of every event, every racer needs to know what the medical evacuation process is."

And then I think it's important that we accept ameliorate care of the track and the riders. I'm not asking them to get in easier, merely safer.

As mountain bikers, we ride on the absolute limit and with the speeds we go there's just no room for error.

The rock curl is something and then unproblematic, and I rode over that rock so many times and never had to think about it. But something as simple equally an exposed root can grab you out and alter your life.

I hope that my accident volition at to the lowest degree make organisers retrieve more about these things. I'm not holding my jiff, simply every rider deserves to know they're in good hands.

PERSPECTIVE

Life inverse in an instant for me on August 31, 2019.

I went from riding my bike and being the happiest man on the planet, to not feeling my legs.

I lay in a ditch in agony, looking up to the sky for four-and-a-half hours, waiting to see a helicopter bear witness its blades and take me to rubber.

I wasn't thinking about never walking once more, simply if that had been the consequence, I think I would have been OK with that.

My sport is unsafe, it tin happen to anyone, and I had come to terms with the fact that if things didn't go well, or if I never walked over again, I was but going to have to accept that. I know that'due south easy to say now, merely it's genuinely how I felt.

But the whole process – from crash to recovery, and eventually being back on my bike - has taught me so much about myself, my torso, my mind, and my life.

I can walk, simply I'll never walk the same way over again. Putting ane pes in front of the other and riding a bike carries a scrap more meaning to me now.

Information technology'due south given me a scrap of perspective.

In a way, being paralysed and non being able to experience my legs, helped me find my anxiety.